Members of the FAB CE airspace alliance are drawing up a common project charter to harmonise communications, navigation and surveillance (CNS) implementation plans as part of the new FAB CE operational strategy launched in February 2020.
FAB CE air navigation service providers (ANSPs) currently plan their CNS infrastructure requirements independently. The aim of the common project charter is to: assess national CNS investment plans against the recommendations of FAB CE airspace reconfiguration planning activities, identify opportunities for alignment of plans and smart procurement opportunities, and develop a joint CNS investment plan. The project will also establish and deploy a continuous process for common CNS infrastructure planning.
“The FAB CE SUR and NAVOPT projects have already developed processes for coordinated planning of surveillance and navigation infrastructure but more can be done to develop the fully coordinated and aligned CNS investment plan,” said Matej Eljon, FAB CE Programme Manager and director of FAB CE Aviation Ltd. “We are aiming to develop a fully optimised infrastructure to support FAB CE airspace reconfiguration for 2025 and beyond. This should be a continuous activity with regular updates of the joint plan.”
The FAB CE investment plan will be a crucial input into the ANSPs' investment strategies and will also facilitate identification of opportunities for smart procurement with potential savings due to economies of scale.
Key charter action point are:
- Consolidation of the requirements for CNS infrastructure, including results of CNS optimisation projects, taking a wider FAB CE perspective
- Initial investment planning will be kept at an ANSP level, followed by collection and thorough analysis of the plans (including any constraints) against the FAB CE requirements and other requirements stemming from the EAAS and SESAR developments
- Identification of opportunities for cross-border optimisation of CNS investment plans; in this step the regional perspective is applied and opportunities for smart procurement identified
- Definition of the common CNS investment plan led by FAB CE and coordinated with the ANSP experts, to be used as an input into the individual ANSPs' investment plans following endorsement.
- Establishment of regular common CNS planning process led by FAB CE
The first common CNS investment plan developed under leadership of FAB CE in cooperation with the ANSPs experts is expected by the end of 2020.